Orthodontic treatment near Park Slope, NY, whether treating a mild or severe case, is often a lengthy process. Whether you are a child, teen, or adult, orthodontic care takes some time to achieve the optimal result. Every patient’s term of treatment will vary, and most patients are eager to complete their treatment and begin living life with a beautiful smile. Dr. Sophia Scantlebury of Scantlebury Orthodontics advises that there are steps you can take to keep your orthodontic treatments on schedule and that may even help you achieve your treatment goals more quickly!
- Maintain Good Oral Health. It is important to maintain good oral health, whether being treated by an orthodontist or not. Straight teeth are only one aspect of a healthy mouth – preventing tooth decay and the build of plaque on the surfaces of the teeth are also key to protecting your good oral health. Having braces makes brushing and flossing a bit more difficult. Dr. Sophia Scantlebury recommends brushing your teeth after every meal, before bed, and once you wake up.
It is also important to floss your teeth as often as you can to remove food particles from on and around the teeth and braces. The team at Scantlebury Orthodontics helps their patients assemble a braces hygiene kit for trips out or away. A proper kit should have a toothbrush, toothpaste, floss, and mouthwash. This way, you will never have to worry about the state of your oral health slowing down your orthodontic treatment process.
- Follow the Rules. There are adjustments patients need to make when they get braces. Sometimes many of the new rules of eating associated with wearing braces may seem hard to follow. For instance, one new rule to follow is to avoid hard and/or sticky foods that may cling to or break your braces and potentially prolong treatment time.
Orthodontic appliances are made of many parts that assist the braces in doing their job. These appliances are things like rubber bands, which help to move the teeth to the right position. Use these appliances exactly as they are directed or treatment time will be longer.
- See Your Orthodontist with Any Problems. Sophia Scantlebury understands that accidents happen, and that it is extremely important to seek care for them immediately. Braces are made of delicate brackets and archwires which can pop free or snap from eating hard and sticky foods. Dr. Sophia Scantlebury recommends placing wax on any sharp or broken area that is causing you discomfort and then contacting Scantlebury Orthodontics as soon as possible so the damages can be repaired, keeping your braces functioning properly and avoiding any delays.
- Protect Your Mouth. Dr. Sophia Scantlebury also recommends that patients who play sports wear mouthguards to avoid accidents. Whenever you are playing sports, wear a mouthguard so that your braces are not exposed to any pressure or impacts. This will keep all the parts of your braces intact and ensure a quick and complete treatment outcome.
- Follow your Schedule: Follow a conscientious appointment schedule with your orthodontist. Throughout your treatment, you will need to come into the office for checkups, adjustments, and more. The Scantlebury Orthodontics team will work with you to make appointments that best fit your schedule and your treatment needs. Staying consistent and on time with your appointments is just another important step in making sure that your treatment progresses smoothly and efficiently.
Patients of Dr. Sophia Scantlebury of Scantlebury Orthodontics can reduce their treatment time wearing braces and get the optimal treatment results — a perfect smile.
If you have any questions about these steps toward a healthier mouth and an easier course of treatment, feel free to contact Scantlebury Orthodontics near Park Slope, NY today at: (718) 230-5046